Collection inspired by Octavia Butler.
Rape has become endemic in South Africa, so a medical technician named Sonette Ehlers developed a product that immediately gathered national attention there. Ehlers had never forgotten a rape victim telling her forlornly, “If only I had teeth down there.”
Some time afterward, a man came into the hospital where Ehlers works in excruciating pain because his penis was stuck in his pants zipper.
Ehlers merged those images and came up with a product she called Rapex. It resembles a tube, with barbs inside. The woman inserts it like a tampon, with an applicator, and any man who tries to rape the woman impales himself on the barbs and must go to an emergency room to have the Rapex removed.
When critics complained that it was a medieval punishment, Ehlers replied tersely, “A medieval device for a medieval deed.”
- Half the Sky, Nicholas Kristof
REBLOGGING THIS. x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
A medieval device for a medieval deed - yes.
This is perfect
let’s make this more accessible. please.
Sell this everywhere. Please.
Y’remember how people hated how Cheerios promoted bi-racial families?
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMGGGGGGGGGGGG! I’m over here fist pumping like shit to this! I believe I said “you go, and, hell fuck yes” a few times too!
Alright folks!! 6 months/24 weeks!!!! Leggo!!!
- Man: I had my heart broken once by a girl who friendzoned me, so now I hate women. It's not my fault, they're just cold-hearted and stupid.
- Mens Rights Activists: I don't see a problem with this.
- Woman: I say I hate men because I've been physically/sexually abused, harassed on the street, made to feel inferior or have experienced domestic violence, and have had the weight of an entire social system of oppression forced on me since birth.
- Mens Rights Activist: You're a fucking sexist! Not all men are like that! Why do you hate equality? You're a bad person! Get back in the kitchen! Fucking women.
This past Memorial Day weekend, while walking home from work, twin brothers Aaron and Kristin were brutally attacked around 3 am Sunday in the LES by approximately 10-12 men. Despite eyewitnesses and surveillance video of the attack, the NYPD were quick to label the attack “gang related” and close the case without any investigation. When Aaron’s girlfriend, Cipriana followed up with police a day after the attack she was told that the twins said they did not want an investigation and would “handle it themselves”. Knowing this was untrue, Cipriana encouraged Aaron to contact the police and ask them to pursue the investigation.
When Aaron spoke with police and explained that they did in fact want an investigation he was told he could “face jail time for lying”. It wasn’t until Cipriana took to her blog, urbanbushbabes.com to write about the attack and the lack of police investigation that the press took note (NY Post & Fox 5) and the police suddenly changed their tune. Now the NYPD claims the case was never closed and has labeled it a hate crime.
We really need your help to get this story out and to get justice for the twins. Here’s how you can help:
• Sign the change.org petition to hold the NYPD & Internal Affairs Bureau Liable for their misconduct in the handling of Aaron and Kristin’s case
• Click here to tweet the petition using the #justice4twins hashtag
• Reblog and share this post
• Tweet this story using #justice4twins to media influencers like @MHarrisPerry @TheRevAl @ClutchMagazine @blackvoices and @thinkprogress